Interactive Application – Bulgarian language for Foreigners – “We Discover the Bulgarian Language”, Level A1
Dr. Eng. Milena Yordanova
The use of interactive learning applications is quite common already. However, given that the language learning requires a higher degree of interactivity, creating a language learning application is a thought challenge for the software developers and language tutors.
The application contains grammar exercises designed to learn Bulgarian language grammar, both spoken and written in the comfort of your couch. The course contains 10 units covering language proficiency level A1.
Each of the 10 units is a separate application containing animated interactive lectures and grammar exercises.
1. Technical characteristics
The course in Bulgarian language is distributed via the Internet and is packaged under the xAPI standard for e-learning content.
xAPI enables to setup your training to individual requirements. It shortens the delivery time of knowledge to the learners.
Each training unit covers a comprehensive way to assimilate the delivered knowledge base.
From a technical point of view, the features of the model consist of the following:
1. The learning content is entirely represented by interactive animations with professional graphics
and audio, which follow a story line throughout the course integrated within the learning content,
building users’ vocabulary, grammar and other language skills.
Additional materials are included to the course content, which the learner can store locally on their
personal computer – Grammar Tables implemented in the Grammar Tables button and a Glossary
button – containing the words of each of topics.
2. The course covers all didactic requirements for the created product, namely:
– customization of the learning process to the level of preparedness, ability, individuality, interests
and needs of learners;
– changing the character of the learners cognitive activity towards greater independence with an
incentive to search and find information individually;
– motivating learners for constant self-improvement and willingness for self-learning;
– increasing the flexibility and mobility of the learning process, its constant renewal and improvement.
3. The user is given an opportunity to gradually build up the knowledge on each topic and with that to
learn about the Bulgarian History and Geography.
4. Subtitles are embedded to satisfy different users, i.e. different ways of perceiving information. It is
known that people perceive 90.6% of the information through vision and 0.01% through hearing.
5. The color theme of the applications is consistent to the theory of color perception of information,
i.e. not to burden the user, not to get them tired. The layout meets the requirements for graphic
6. The interface is intuitive and compliant with the e-course design requirements, namely enabling the
user to access to the selected section of the e-application in just two steps.
7. Features in the design and development of the interactive application in Bulgarian language
One of the main features of the interactive multimedia application is “feedback” – user interaction with the learning program. The model contains the following feedback, aimed at the learner:
– when answer is correct;
– when given answers are incorrect,
– when there are unanswered questions;
– depending on the current integral assessment;
– text clues;
– graphic clues;
– sound (sound, music, speech) clues;
– learning history for each learner.
The following methods are used in the technical implementation of questioning:
– a statement to determine if it is true or false (dichotomous questions);
– question and choice with answers (elective answer questions);
– a sentence or text with empty spaces to be filled in by the learner (Drag / Drop);
– a question with response that can be found in a specific area of the information frame (when using the Drag / Drop)
– a question in the form of recorded speech.
The application complements language learning in a comprehensible and easily understandable way. It contributes to increasing the effectiveness of mastering the language with effective communication skills.